Saturday, October 24, 2020

The Key to Writing is Writing

  I learned long ago that the key to writing is to write.  Once you start writing, then you continue - a variation on the "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" thing.  I learned that when I was around ten or eleven, and while I didn't forget it, I ended up in a loop of planning to write something, then deciding there wasn't time, and back to planning, and then putting it off, etc. etc.  At the moment, I got enough sleep the night before, and I'm writing this before going on-line.
  Ah!  Going on-line!  That's something I didn't think about back when I learned to just start writing something, anything, to get going with getting text on the page!  So I guess my old standard idea of "the key to writing is to write" needs to be modified!  How about: "The key to writing is to write, and to start writing before going on-line!"  Once on-line you end up writing, but in bits and pieces in text blurbs thrown about here and there - not a bad thing exactly, but by the time you're through doing that, you've run out of energy for proper writing.
  2020 is a troubled year, to put it mildly.  Most of my life I've felt constrained while inside and more relaxed and free when outside, but that's been turned around in this Virus Era.  Now I feel constrained outside (mask, distancing, disinfecting, etc.) and only free and unconstrained at home, where I can walk about without a mask and not constantly worrying about getting sick and dying.
  So what's the good side of 2020?  Personally, living in Tokyo, which has been getting a bit trampled by too-easy-tourism, shutting down the tourism madness is a good thing I think.  I've been thinking all along that tourism is an ultra-bad thing to base an economy on - something can always suddenly turn it off.  I didn't have pandemics in mind when I thought that, but during the years leading up to the Pandemic Era, I was thinking on a nearly daily basis (while dodging idiot tourists clogging the sidewalks) that some tourism is a great thing, but too much of it bringing in too many frivolous and clueless bipeds is a truly horrible thing.  And once the tsunami of tourists begins making life more difficult and more expensive for the residents of a place, tourism is an evil thing.
  Well, lots to do today... I guess it's time to go on-line and try to make the day a productive one.

No comments: