Saturday, October 31, 2020

Why Talk?

   So what is the purpose of talking?  To communicate.  With more and more communication taking place via our devices, talking in person appears to be decreasing in importance.  For me, I sometimes (often?) have a tendency to talk a bit too much when I'm with people, which isn't good, but more and more I've been coming to think that talking with others should only be done when/if necessary.  I'm reluctant to even say that, as I generally still like talking with people, but you have to adjust to how people communicate and what seems to work better these days is not to talk any more than is necessary?

  Of course the danger of communication with text is the delay between what you write and someone's reaction to it.  Talking with someone "live, in person" as it were, the feedback is instant - speeding up miscommunication corrections considerably.

  (The above written on a train while the neighboring seats were empty, enabling me to have my arms fully by my side for typing.  More and more people are boarding the train however, so I better stop and go into narrow space mode.) 

  (later) - So here I go - slipping into that thing I hate - where a person places more importance on distant acquaintances connected via electronic device than on the people they are actually with.  Or maybe it's slightly different... I want to avoid there being any issues and one way of avoiding issues with people is not to talk to them?  Oops... I feel like the more I write about this, the deeper I'm sinking into something better left alone?

  Hmm.... so this is the "delete" thing I suppose.  As with deleting things you don't like on the computer, the desire arises to delete unpleasant issues with the people you interact with?

  Whatever!  Well, it's another day and I'm again wondering if I should go somewhere for pictures after work.  In addition to the inertia of getting used to not going places much, there are the practical considerations of the Virus Era - best not to expose oneself unnecessarily to things.  Having said that, it looks like I'll end up not going anywhere.  But I might change my mind. その時はその時です。

  (later) - I've ranted about this before, but synthetic smells....  There's a guy at my workplace who is always just reeking of synthetic chemical stench.  I always want to ask him: "So, um... what's going through your mind exactly when you douse yourself in synthetic chemical stench?  You're afraid you have some natural body odor or something?  Being concerned about that is a good thing, but dousing yourself in a liter or two of synthetic chemical stench means that all day long, everywhere you go, you're polluting the air and making life miserable for everyone within a ten meter radios of you.  It's a truly horrible thing you're doing - please stop tormenting people and polluting the air!"  I really do want to say that, but for obvious reasons, can't....

  Oh, and there's another person, a woman, who wears a perfume that smells like - and I'm not kidding - pesticide spray!!!  Fortunately she works in another area, so I don't often come within that ten-meter radios synthetic chemical stench zone, but occasionally I'll enter a room and "Hm? Pesticide spray? Who's been using that..... Ah!!  It's that synthetic chemical stench person who uses perfume that smells like insecticide!  まったく!"

  I used the optical drive of my computer once today, and when I went to use it again, it wasn't working.  Now it appears to be dead.  The software recognizes the device being in the machine (it's an internal, but removable drive), but there is no recognition of the disk within the drive and the disk drawer can only be opened (with a disk or no disk) by poking an opened paper clip into the emergency release hole in the optical drive drawer.  I've never had an optical drive suddenly die on me like this before....

  (much later) - After getting home, I pulled out a USB optical drive I recently bought at a used equipment store (sold as "junk" with no warranty) and confirmed that it works, so at least there's a way to use an optical drive with this machine... too bad the internal one died though.

  Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon - www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/ - youtube.com/lylehsaxon - lylehsaxon.blogspot.jp/ - lookback1997.blogspot.jp/

No comments: