Sunday, July 17, 2022

2022/07/08 (金) Yurakucho Building

Internal shotengai.  The 1964 Yurakucho Building is fairly inconspicuous from the outside, but once you enter the world of its internal shotengai (first and second floors) and its subterranean restaurant floor, the building feels like an absolute masterpiece - the effort and aspirations of its designers and builders is so evident, and the atmosphere so nice, that the space feels like something that should be preserved for all time.  [LHS-YT]

Tokyo's eternal reconstruction is what makes Tokyo Tokyo, but I really do wish a little more of the past could be preserved.  The futuristic elements of the city are better appreciated when there's something to contrast them with.  (My meal has arrived - a rather large hamburger.)

(Post meal): My hamburger and fries were quite good, and I've been enjoying looking out the window and watching Shinkansen trains passing by, with glimpses of other trains running at lower (also elevated) levels.  This has been a very nice experience, with one slightly irritating element.

The music playing in the restaurant has included several wishy-washy songs that were often played on the radio when I was driving around in California as a high school student.  I considered most of what was on the radio back then to be generally so bad that I left the radio in my car off to avoid the irritation of having my ears harassed with mediocre songs with sledgehammer endless repeat elements that you couldn't ignore - a kind of mix of irritating advertising and bad art.

Interestingly, as I wrote the above paragraph, a couple of not too terribly irritating songs played- still in the mediocre category, but less irritating than the worst-of-the-seventies stuff that had been playing. ..... !!!!! No sooner written than a song repeating the word "sledgehammer" is playing!  I hate sledgehammer songs, but but it is at least a little bit funny how a sledgehammer song is actually using the word "sledgehammer" to sledgehammer people's ears with.  - Lyle Hiroshi Saxon

www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/  youtube.com/lylehsaxon  lylehsaxon.blogspot.jp/

No comments: