Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Humans & Machines

Having some things on my mind in the middle of the night, I tried watching a movie, but it didn't have enough distractive power to take my mind off of things, so it seemed like a good time to finally go over some text I wrote a couple of months ago... edit it and post it.  (Note: The photos were taken within about a month of when the text was written, but are random.)

(20221027) Riding on a train yesterday, as I listened to the robot voice (recording) overly-loudly broadcasting the exact same computer program generated message I've been listening to over-and-over-and-over the past (how many?) years, I thought back to how much nicer it was when a human being was making the announcements - a fellow human being making the same journey as the passengers.  And while the driver of the train is operating a push-pull control for accelerating and braking, there's a computer between their actions and power or brakes applied.  That element is less clearly defined than the robot vs. human announcements, but it was another element of a fellow human being on the journey down the rails.  Now, even though there's a human at the front of the train at the controls, there isn't really a sense - as there used to be - of a person running the train.

(20221027)  Shibuya at 6:15 a.m.  Small crowds of young people clearly on their way home after being up all night.  Either young people now are fairly radically different from the young people I walked among a few decades ago and/or I've changed to the extent that young people appear more different than they actually are.  So?  ........  Nothing.  Just that observation.  I used to feel like I was within my generation while in Shibuya, now I sometimes feel like I've entered a strange foreign country when there.

(20221027)  It would be nice to go back in time and give myself a 2022 laptop and 2022 camera to record the eighties with.  I actually did a fair amount of writing back then, but it was handwritten... so it would all need to be transcribed first to do anything with it.  Also, I would have written a whole lot more if I'd had a laptop computer back then.  At least I had the foresight to learn to type back when I thought I would only really be using that skill with typewriters.  It amazes me how many people are six-finger typists.  Percentage-wise, it doesn't seem all that many people have actually learned how to touch-type.

(20221227)  Reading my text from October 27th, it reminds me - once again - how important it is to record things in words at least now and then.

- Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon - www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/ - youtube.com/lylehsaxon - lylehsaxon.blogspot.jp/

No comments: