Saturday, March 16, 2019

Rewiring of Brain?

I'm a fairly heavy computer user, but have yet to begin using a smartphone, so as I observe how just about everyone around me out in pubic is almost constantly looking at and poking their little microcomputers, I'm beginning to worry about what direction humanity is going.  It seems like people are turning over more and more of their thinking to the microcomputers almost constantly in their hands, so what will be the outcome of this?  Hopefully not dysfunctional people who can't communicate with others or navigate their world without a machine constantly telling them what to do.  ...........  I just had an awful thought - in a very real sense, some people (many people?, [shudder] most people?) are becoming cyborgs!
Don't get me wrong - I'm actually quite enthusiastic about technology, but with regards to cell phones, smartphones , etc., I believe in shutting them down for at least part of the day.  With the computer, I understand only too well how the endless stream of possibilities while on-line keeps me looking at one thing or another, and I enjoy it, but I also enjoy some time with the machine shut down so I can concentrate on one thing.  (In fact, I'm writing this right now off-line, as I figured I wouldn't get far with any text if I tried writing it with the gateway open.)
About the title "Rewiring of Brain?" - I was reading an article about something on-line and it stated that people's brains had been rewired with the advent of books.  I had never heard that before, but it got me to thinking.  I have long believed the brain changes depending on how it's used, which is why I think horror movies should be illegal.  What we read, watch, listen to, etc., is akin to programming a (biological) computer, and "garbage in - garbage out", as used to be said (still is?) about computer programming.  So the opposite should be aimed for - "quality in - quality out".
Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon
www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/
youtube.com/lylehsaxon
lylehsaxon.blogspot.jp/
lookback1997.blogspot.jp/
tokyoht.blogspot.jp/

No comments: