Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Suburbia

I had to visit a company today, so I looked up their address on a detailed map and figured out the on-foot part of the journey.  After getting off the train (train number four), I took the easy route there, walking along a main street - sharing the air with the trucks and getting a bit of a sore throat in the process, so for the journey back, I decided to take back streets that ran more or less parallel to the main street.  Doing that sort of thing is an excellent way to get lost, but it worked out this time and I found myself walking through suburbia with the only people on the streets being mothers with their pre-school children (one each, most people only have one or two children these days).

It's a strange thing about suburbia... you get the feeling that you're doing something wrong by walking through it.  Just about everyone you see is with children, so you find yourself wordlessly defending your presence and reminding yourself that you're conducting business and are just passing through.

That's it?  Hmmm... well, what can I say?  It was a wordless feeling after all.....

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/

No comments: