Sunday, March 09, 2008

"The Sardine Run (Tokyo-1991)"

The Tokyo train system is a fantastic system, and it's constantly being improved upon. Nevertheless, moving 30,000,000 people about, leads to some crowding on some lines at some times..... This video was taken in 1991, but when a train is really packed, the situation is the same today.

So, to my Japanese friends, please believe me when I say that I have nothing but the greatest respect for for the Tokyo Train system. I think it's the best in the world. The reason I'm posting this, is that when I say to my foreign friends that I'm tired from the trains, and that the morning trains are so crowded... I don't think they believe me! So I want to show them what I'm talking about!

The video is of the Seibu Ikebukuro Line, which has implemented some track and train improvements since the video was taken. The system in fact, has never stopped growing for about six decades now. It just grows and grows! Still, I am nearly always (to one degree or another) basically in the same position today as the commuters in the 1991 video.

Well - here it is:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2611001367661571054

Let me know how that seems to you and how it compares to your own city's train system.

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/

No comments: